Skip to main content

Insulating the floor and laying the subfloor

Okay, they tell me it usually doesn't snow around here until Thanksgiving. Yesterday, the structure was all concrete and pressure treated lumber; it could easily weather the winter. Now we're going to close it up. Once we start raising walls, we'll be building a giant bathtub for snow, so we're kind of committed to at least getting the roof sheathed so we can cover it with a tarp. Let's do it!

We start Monday by finishing up some fasteners in the floor framing, and added blocking to support the seams in the subfloor.

Our lumber order shows up after lunch; better late than never. It's got the all the framing and sheathing materials.



Glad I didn't try to bring all that up on the pickup truck.

We screwed and nailed plywood to the bottom of the joists to support the insulation.

On Tuesday, we cut insulation and dropped it into the cavities.



Then we laid out six sheets of plywood and nailed them into place. I pounded my thumb pretty hard, and hollered loud enough that our neighbor Russ came over to see what happened. [The purple spot took months to grow out.]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appliances and mirrors

In pursuit of being ready for final, I came up and installed the fridge and dishwasher with Jeff. We hung mirrors in the bathrooms.

It is DONE!

The final inspection was today. This guy is Levi, the county inspector, and as you can see, we passed! He only had two questions for me. One was about the energy efficiency credits and the blower door test, for which I had the compensating paperwork for the low-flow faucets already prepared. The second was asking for a smoke detector outside the bedroom; I pointed up and he saw that we already had one tucked into the alcove. And that was that! I got up at 5am to be certain I'd be here before the inspector, and I was ... by about five hours. In that time, I took another truckload of tool buckets down to the storage container, then picked up all the floor protection in the great room and vacuumed and mopped. It's glowing! Then I went back down to the storage container to get a hammer so I could glue in 32 wood plugs to cover the screws for the french doors. I fought with installing the screens, but the frames are too big! The manufacturer said "yeah we don't even make th...

First tile

Saturday   Tile! Christina got some tile installed this weekend! Jon was racing ahead trying to get backer board down. I had to finish a couple pieces in the main bathroom before anything could be done. Then I got the laundry room filled in.   Hector and his son Robert came over from Yakima to provide initial tile instruction.   The first step was to get all the tile for the floor laid out and edges cut.   Jon had purchased most of the rest of the Ipe deck surface boards in Seattle this week and hauled them up on the trailer. Each 18 foot board weights fifty pounds! Siobhan helped me unload them and stack them under the eaves. Sunday We came back for another morning of work. Christina got almost done thinsetting the first bathroom floor. Jon finished tuning up the subfloor in the upstairs bathroom and getting the backer rock board installed. Siggy and Jon took another little bite out of the deck, cutting the first five joists.