Skip to main content

Raising the walls

Saturday was a very satisfying day. Zack came and helped us build the remaining wall panel.


Then we started hoisting and bracing the wall sections.



Once they're all in place, we laid the double top plates in place, overlapping, to join the walls together. That was a lesson:

  • I considered a single-plate design, since I didn't need to transmit roof load laterally: all of my rafters lined up directly over studs. But the double plates were nice because they're the standard technique, so we could use pre-cut 92 5/8" boards for all the studs. And they made securing the walls into a rigid structure mercifully easy.




On Sunday, we put OSB sheathing up on the two long walls, to give the structure greater rigidity. We left diagonal braces on the end walls, because that sheathing was going to interact with the gable sheathing higher up.

Then we installed some 14-foot vertical braces and positioned the ridge beam. Here is a fun little time-lapse showing Eliot and I placing the braces, with help from our neighbors Russ and Daryl, unseen behind the sheathing.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appliances and mirrors

In pursuit of being ready for final, I came up and installed the fridge and dishwasher with Jeff. We hung mirrors in the bathrooms.

It is DONE!

The final inspection was today. This guy is Levi, the county inspector, and as you can see, we passed! He only had two questions for me. One was about the energy efficiency credits and the blower door test, for which I had the compensating paperwork for the low-flow faucets already prepared. The second was asking for a smoke detector outside the bedroom; I pointed up and he saw that we already had one tucked into the alcove. And that was that! I got up at 5am to be certain I'd be here before the inspector, and I was ... by about five hours. In that time, I took another truckload of tool buckets down to the storage container, then picked up all the floor protection in the great room and vacuumed and mopped. It's glowing! Then I went back down to the storage container to get a hammer so I could glue in 32 wood plugs to cover the screws for the french doors. I fought with installing the screens, but the frames are too big! The manufacturer said "yeah we don't even make th...

First tile

Saturday   Tile! Christina got some tile installed this weekend! Jon was racing ahead trying to get backer board down. I had to finish a couple pieces in the main bathroom before anything could be done. Then I got the laundry room filled in.   Hector and his son Robert came over from Yakima to provide initial tile instruction.   The first step was to get all the tile for the floor laid out and edges cut.   Jon had purchased most of the rest of the Ipe deck surface boards in Seattle this week and hauled them up on the trailer. Each 18 foot board weights fifty pounds! Siobhan helped me unload them and stack them under the eaves. Sunday We came back for another morning of work. Christina got almost done thinsetting the first bathroom floor. Jon finished tuning up the subfloor in the upstairs bathroom and getting the backer rock board installed. Siggy and Jon took another little bite out of the deck, cutting the first five joists.