Skip to main content

We did it! Pouring concrete for the stem wall

After a late night, we rose at 6:30 this morning. We picked up a few emergency backup supplies at the lumberyard, and got up to the site. We double-checked that everything was straight. Eliot vacuumed a few weeks' accumulated crud out of the bottom of the forms, and I sprayed things down with water to cool the rebar. I measured out placement for the anchor bolts, which we'll push in after the concrete is in place.

We were just getting these last tasks wrapped up when Tye drove up in the pump truck. Eliot enjoyed the fact that the pump truck dealt with the tree in his way by just going over it, by a large margin.


Boy, that little 3" rubber hose was hard to handle once tons of concrete came blasting out of it! It really enjoyed shoving us around, and we made a fantastic mess. It's pretty wild directing 32 tons of concrete around with your hands. If Quadlock is big kid Lego, then concrete is big kid Play-Doh.

The pump truck stopped about a half-yard short -- oh no! -- but he had enough in the hopper to just finish off the wall. Whew!

Here's a nice vintage/instagram-chic selfie with the pump boom, courtesy of all the concrete goo on my phone face.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appliances and mirrors

In pursuit of being ready for final, I came up and installed the fridge and dishwasher with Jeff. We hung mirrors in the bathrooms.

It is DONE!

The final inspection was today. This guy is Levi, the county inspector, and as you can see, we passed! He only had two questions for me. One was about the energy efficiency credits and the blower door test, for which I had the compensating paperwork for the low-flow faucets already prepared. The second was asking for a smoke detector outside the bedroom; I pointed up and he saw that we already had one tucked into the alcove. And that was that! I got up at 5am to be certain I'd be here before the inspector, and I was ... by about five hours. In that time, I took another truckload of tool buckets down to the storage container, then picked up all the floor protection in the great room and vacuumed and mopped. It's glowing! Then I went back down to the storage container to get a hammer so I could glue in 32 wood plugs to cover the screws for the french doors. I fought with installing the screens, but the frames are too big! The manufacturer said "yeah we don't even make th...

First tile

Saturday   Tile! Christina got some tile installed this weekend! Jon was racing ahead trying to get backer board down. I had to finish a couple pieces in the main bathroom before anything could be done. Then I got the laundry room filled in.   Hector and his son Robert came over from Yakima to provide initial tile instruction.   The first step was to get all the tile for the floor laid out and edges cut.   Jon had purchased most of the rest of the Ipe deck surface boards in Seattle this week and hauled them up on the trailer. Each 18 foot board weights fifty pounds! Siobhan helped me unload them and stack them under the eaves. Sunday We came back for another morning of work. Christina got almost done thinsetting the first bathroom floor. Jon finished tuning up the subfloor in the upstairs bathroom and getting the backer rock board installed. Siggy and Jon took another little bite out of the deck, cutting the first five joists.