Skip to main content

Holes. Drilled.



Today's mission: remember the practice holes from the weekend? Time to make it real. Twenty holes, from 12" to a ridiculous 5/8"x24".

We ran around town gathering rental gear and spare epoxy. The inspector can't come today, but can come tomorrow morning at 7am. Good thing, as you'll see...

But first we made a stop at Ellensburg to pick up our long awaited permit.



Around 1:30 we were drilling our first hole.


Calvin rolled in 45 minutes later. This'll go fast!




... until we hit metal where we didn't expect it. Remember those tie-down straps we gleefully cut off last weekend? The other end, still embedded in the concrete, interfered with three of our planned holes. And ate the teeth off our drill bit.

I scrambled to the lumberyard and bought the entire inventory of 1-1/8" and 5/8" rebar rated bits. I placed a desperate email to the engineer. We were able to move a couple of the hold down hole locations, and were back in business.

The last hole went in after sunset. Then the guys cleaned all the holes with compressed air and a brush.


Good night, good night, construction site!



2300 hours: holes are drilled and cleaned, tools have been put to bed. Sleep, then rise at 6am to meet inspector. But first: MILKSHAKES.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Appliances and mirrors

In pursuit of being ready for final, I came up and installed the fridge and dishwasher with Jeff. We hung mirrors in the bathrooms.

It is DONE!

The final inspection was today. This guy is Levi, the county inspector, and as you can see, we passed! He only had two questions for me. One was about the energy efficiency credits and the blower door test, for which I had the compensating paperwork for the low-flow faucets already prepared. The second was asking for a smoke detector outside the bedroom; I pointed up and he saw that we already had one tucked into the alcove. And that was that! I got up at 5am to be certain I'd be here before the inspector, and I was ... by about five hours. In that time, I took another truckload of tool buckets down to the storage container, then picked up all the floor protection in the great room and vacuumed and mopped. It's glowing! Then I went back down to the storage container to get a hammer so I could glue in 32 wood plugs to cover the screws for the french doors. I fought with installing the screens, but the frames are too big! The manufacturer said "yeah we don't even make th...

First tile

Saturday   Tile! Christina got some tile installed this weekend! Jon was racing ahead trying to get backer board down. I had to finish a couple pieces in the main bathroom before anything could be done. Then I got the laundry room filled in.   Hector and his son Robert came over from Yakima to provide initial tile instruction.   The first step was to get all the tile for the floor laid out and edges cut.   Jon had purchased most of the rest of the Ipe deck surface boards in Seattle this week and hauled them up on the trailer. Each 18 foot board weights fifty pounds! Siobhan helped me unload them and stack them under the eaves. Sunday We came back for another morning of work. Christina got almost done thinsetting the first bathroom floor. Jon finished tuning up the subfloor in the upstairs bathroom and getting the backer rock board installed. Siggy and Jon took another little bite out of the deck, cutting the first five joists.