Skip to main content

Sill plates

Today started out pretty gently. We took a load of trash to the dump, and had a hot breakfast at Stella's.


Back on the hill, the sky was gorgeous.


Siggy was pretty pooped from yesterday, but he found ways to cope.


Our main task today was to prepare sill plates. They needed to be drilled to drop over the hold-down threaded rods we installed earlier in the week. Then we drilles a second set of holes to locate the anchor bolts, using the wood plates as templates to drill the holes for the anchors into the concrete.


Here Siggy and Eliot are measuring holes in a sill plate:


...and now they're drilling them.


All the plates fit perfectly. Eliot's taking them off to store in shelter. Last year, a week in the sun seriously warped our sill plates (for Cabin v1.0), so this year they don't sleep outside until they're bolted down.


Tomorrow, we'll drill for the anchors, and work on building the pony walls inside the foundation.

Comments

  1. I'm thinking you all 3 would want to be napping after yesterday. Love how Siggy gets to help. Nice, E. Gorgeous backdrop!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Appliances and mirrors

In pursuit of being ready for final, I came up and installed the fridge and dishwasher with Jeff. We hung mirrors in the bathrooms.

It is DONE!

The final inspection was today. This guy is Levi, the county inspector, and as you can see, we passed! He only had two questions for me. One was about the energy efficiency credits and the blower door test, for which I had the compensating paperwork for the low-flow faucets already prepared. The second was asking for a smoke detector outside the bedroom; I pointed up and he saw that we already had one tucked into the alcove. And that was that! I got up at 5am to be certain I'd be here before the inspector, and I was ... by about five hours. In that time, I took another truckload of tool buckets down to the storage container, then picked up all the floor protection in the great room and vacuumed and mopped. It's glowing! Then I went back down to the storage container to get a hammer so I could glue in 32 wood plugs to cover the screws for the french doors. I fought with installing the screens, but the frames are too big! The manufacturer said "yeah we don't even make th...

First tile

Saturday   Tile! Christina got some tile installed this weekend! Jon was racing ahead trying to get backer board down. I had to finish a couple pieces in the main bathroom before anything could be done. Then I got the laundry room filled in.   Hector and his son Robert came over from Yakima to provide initial tile instruction.   The first step was to get all the tile for the floor laid out and edges cut.   Jon had purchased most of the rest of the Ipe deck surface boards in Seattle this week and hauled them up on the trailer. Each 18 foot board weights fifty pounds! Siobhan helped me unload them and stack them under the eaves. Sunday We came back for another morning of work. Christina got almost done thinsetting the first bathroom floor. Jon finished tuning up the subfloor in the upstairs bathroom and getting the backer rock board installed. Siggy and Jon took another little bite out of the deck, cutting the first five joists.