Skip to main content

Starting on joists

Saturday morning. The goal is to install about 75 rim and common joists.

First stop, bagels for breakfast.


Eliot helped Siggy learn to tear duct tape.


We only got started about 11am, so lunch happened pretty soon. But not pretty spoon; we left those at home in the cooler. Oops. So, fingers in the yogurt, obviously.


Before we could work on the joists, we had to add a little blocking to the pony walls, and bring our nailing up to to snuff with the engineer's nailing details.

Siggy helped Eliot hammer.



We ran into town to return a couple hundred bucks of extra lumber we didn't need, and to pick up some more nails. On the way back, we stopped for a quick burst of nutritional enhancement.


Siggy made this helpful warning sign.


You know what we need to do before we install all the joists? We need to get these four stupid 400 pound blocks of concrete out of our crawlspace. While I installed the first five joists (hey, we're 8% of the way there!), Eliot built a crane out of scrap lumber from last year's attempt at the house. Sort of satisfying, using last year's junk to remove last year's other junk.

The crane has a 2:1 mechanical advantage. Any lower, and my 200 pounds couldn't offset the 400 pound block. Any greater, and the effort end of the lever would be way too high in the air. As it was, Eliot had to shimmy up the lever to get to the end. As he swung down, his dynamics were enough to lift the block.


I had to hold him down, or he'd teeter right back up to the top as the block came back to rest.


Once I got him down, I'd sit on the end of the lever, and Siggy sat on my lap to tip the balance to favor the humans over the concrete block. Then Eliot slid a wooden beam under the block, supported across the corner of the foundation wall. Finally, he and I rolled the block end-over-end along the beam and out onto the dirt.

Our not-exactly-OSHA-approved crane succeeded! We got all four blocks out. Eliot was pretty exhausted when we were done, so we tucked Siggy into bed, put away our tools, and now we're off to sleep.

Tomorrow. Tomorrow we'll definitely get those joists installed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appliances and mirrors

In pursuit of being ready for final, I came up and installed the fridge and dishwasher with Jeff. We hung mirrors in the bathrooms.

It is DONE!

The final inspection was today. This guy is Levi, the county inspector, and as you can see, we passed! He only had two questions for me. One was about the energy efficiency credits and the blower door test, for which I had the compensating paperwork for the low-flow faucets already prepared. The second was asking for a smoke detector outside the bedroom; I pointed up and he saw that we already had one tucked into the alcove. And that was that! I got up at 5am to be certain I'd be here before the inspector, and I was ... by about five hours. In that time, I took another truckload of tool buckets down to the storage container, then picked up all the floor protection in the great room and vacuumed and mopped. It's glowing! Then I went back down to the storage container to get a hammer so I could glue in 32 wood plugs to cover the screws for the french doors. I fought with installing the screens, but the frames are too big! The manufacturer said "yeah we don't even make th...

First tile

Saturday   Tile! Christina got some tile installed this weekend! Jon was racing ahead trying to get backer board down. I had to finish a couple pieces in the main bathroom before anything could be done. Then I got the laundry room filled in.   Hector and his son Robert came over from Yakima to provide initial tile instruction.   The first step was to get all the tile for the floor laid out and edges cut.   Jon had purchased most of the rest of the Ipe deck surface boards in Seattle this week and hauled them up on the trailer. Each 18 foot board weights fifty pounds! Siobhan helped me unload them and stack them under the eaves. Sunday We came back for another morning of work. Christina got almost done thinsetting the first bathroom floor. Jon finished tuning up the subfloor in the upstairs bathroom and getting the backer rock board installed. Siggy and Jon took another little bite out of the deck, cutting the first five joists.