Skip to main content

You'll be floored when you read this update.

We thought we were basically done preparing the joists, but it took all day Saturday to install vertical blocking (to support posts above), ladder blocking (to support walls that teeter on the rim board), and A35 shear wall connectors:

Here's Eliot nailing in the last A35 an hour after sunset.


Meanwhile, Christina painted the shedlet, and Guinivere read a book.



Sunday

Siggy and Eliot re-measured and re-squared the top surface of the joists.


We finally got the joists leveled off and began learning how to install the plywood subfloor.


Siobhan and Siggy turned a few screws.


Eliot turned a lot more screws.


We glued and screwed all the plywood to make a solid, squeak-resistant floor.


It was hot.


As the floor materialized, the foundation hole is starting to look like a proper eerie crawlspace!


We got more than half of the plywood installed.


Meanwhile, in the shedlet: Last year, Jon bought supplies for a finish floor based on $1/square foot of clearance vinyl flooring from the hardware store. Christina said "I'll install that."

It turns out the stuff is infuriating. It's flimsy fiberboard. To get it to interlock, you have to hold a 16-foot-long row of four pieces at just the right angle, push it in, and bend it down. This requires having four arms that span at least twelve feet. If you fail, the pieces fall apart, or bits flake off the fiber board and end up blocking the interlocking mechanism.

Christina was trying to do it singlehandedly, and got really frustrated. At one point she exclaimed: "Why can't I do this? It's a puzzle and the pieces are rectangles!!"

Eventually, we figured out that more hands were required to balance the delicate garbage flooring. With Christina, Siggy, and Jon in place, we finally got the pieces together. Now our shedlet has a clean-ish vinyl floor!


Christina: "We are not putting this garbage in the big cabin."

Comments

  1. Looking tidy. The "shedlet" floor looks great, if it was nasty stuff. Real wood for the big cabin! 😁

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Appliances and mirrors

In pursuit of being ready for final, I came up and installed the fridge and dishwasher with Jeff. We hung mirrors in the bathrooms.

It is DONE!

The final inspection was today. This guy is Levi, the county inspector, and as you can see, we passed! He only had two questions for me. One was about the energy efficiency credits and the blower door test, for which I had the compensating paperwork for the low-flow faucets already prepared. The second was asking for a smoke detector outside the bedroom; I pointed up and he saw that we already had one tucked into the alcove. And that was that! I got up at 5am to be certain I'd be here before the inspector, and I was ... by about five hours. In that time, I took another truckload of tool buckets down to the storage container, then picked up all the floor protection in the great room and vacuumed and mopped. It's glowing! Then I went back down to the storage container to get a hammer so I could glue in 32 wood plugs to cover the screws for the french doors. I fought with installing the screens, but the frames are too big! The manufacturer said "yeah we don't even make th...

First tile

Saturday   Tile! Christina got some tile installed this weekend! Jon was racing ahead trying to get backer board down. I had to finish a couple pieces in the main bathroom before anything could be done. Then I got the laundry room filled in.   Hector and his son Robert came over from Yakima to provide initial tile instruction.   The first step was to get all the tile for the floor laid out and edges cut.   Jon had purchased most of the rest of the Ipe deck surface boards in Seattle this week and hauled them up on the trailer. Each 18 foot board weights fifty pounds! Siobhan helped me unload them and stack them under the eaves. Sunday We came back for another morning of work. Christina got almost done thinsetting the first bathroom floor. Jon finished tuning up the subfloor in the upstairs bathroom and getting the backer rock board installed. Siggy and Jon took another little bite out of the deck, cutting the first five joists.