Skip to main content

Meeting the contractors

After putting away tools with Eliot under the rising full moon, we got home at 11pm last night. I slept a few hours, and then got up at 5am to drive back up to the cabin to meet our framing crew for their first day. When I arrived, I watched the same full moon set.


The autumn sunrise was lovely.


I spent a lot of time talking with the crew about details. I also went into town to fix up mistakes from the big lumber order.

Mike, the head carpenter, said our house was dead-on square (yay!) and only a quarter-inch too big. Later, he found a spot where the wall was out of plumb. They poked at it with the telehandler and hit it with a hammer until it was fixed. I don't really understand why that worked, given that there were fasteners in there, but hey, the wall's straight now.

But I did get to help build a little. I chamfered the ends of the cantilevered beams and sanded and varnished them so they'll be ready to install later in the week.


Tuesday

I took one more dump run. The site's pretty clean, for now.


How do you build walls when there's no floor to tip them up from? Nick just walks out there and toenails the studs right to the plate.


The "pretty" 2x8s we got for collar ties weren't very pretty, covered in marks and stamps. Jeff spent a few hours with my belt sander; he sanded more than a tenth of a mile of wood.


For all of the first-floor walls, I meticulously drew out the parts all on my computer so I knew where everything went. That's not how the pros do it. They drew a 1:1-scale diagram on the floor, and then just set the lumber on that.


I was in the beam-cutting-and-chamfering business again, this time for the fifty-foot ridge beam at the very top of the house.


In the foreground, the 50-foot ridge beam. Behind it, the house with a couple new walls. (The wall in the back isn't quite finished yet.)


On the way home, I enjoyed these great colors at Lavender Lake, just before I got on the freeway.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appliances and mirrors

In pursuit of being ready for final, I came up and installed the fridge and dishwasher with Jeff. We hung mirrors in the bathrooms.

It is DONE!

The final inspection was today. This guy is Levi, the county inspector, and as you can see, we passed! He only had two questions for me. One was about the energy efficiency credits and the blower door test, for which I had the compensating paperwork for the low-flow faucets already prepared. The second was asking for a smoke detector outside the bedroom; I pointed up and he saw that we already had one tucked into the alcove. And that was that! I got up at 5am to be certain I'd be here before the inspector, and I was ... by about five hours. In that time, I took another truckload of tool buckets down to the storage container, then picked up all the floor protection in the great room and vacuumed and mopped. It's glowing! Then I went back down to the storage container to get a hammer so I could glue in 32 wood plugs to cover the screws for the french doors. I fought with installing the screens, but the frames are too big! The manufacturer said "yeah we don't even make th...

First tile

Saturday   Tile! Christina got some tile installed this weekend! Jon was racing ahead trying to get backer board down. I had to finish a couple pieces in the main bathroom before anything could be done. Then I got the laundry room filled in.   Hector and his son Robert came over from Yakima to provide initial tile instruction.   The first step was to get all the tile for the floor laid out and edges cut.   Jon had purchased most of the rest of the Ipe deck surface boards in Seattle this week and hauled them up on the trailer. Each 18 foot board weights fifty pounds! Siobhan helped me unload them and stack them under the eaves. Sunday We came back for another morning of work. Christina got almost done thinsetting the first bathroom floor. Jon finished tuning up the subfloor in the upstairs bathroom and getting the backer rock board installed. Siggy and Jon took another little bite out of the deck, cutting the first five joists.