Skip to main content

Putting in the stairs

Back on August 28 we told you that the BA Column was scary. We finally found a framing contractor to come and build the tall bits for us. We spent this weekend preparing.

On the way up, bits of snow in the pass!

When we showed up Friday, the telehandler was there for the construction crew. Eliot used it to snag our personnel lift and place it back into the house.


We needed to get all the tools out of the storage container so the driveway guy can move it out of his way. Using his new forest-road skills (see September 22), Eliot drove several truckfuls up the hill at the back of the property to the shed-let.

Saturday



Meanwhile, Jon worked on building parts for the stairs.


Sunday

Okay, we have the long set of stringers cut. We put in the landing boxes.


Eliot checking my work.


Installing the lower stringers.


The final stairs will have 2x fir that matches the balcony. In the meantime, we cut up leftover materials to make steps that can get beat up during construction.

Here's a fun little timelapse of installing the temporary treads on the stairs.

Stairwell complete!


Throwing sawblades, as you do.


Moving 4x10s out of the way to clear the worksite.


Eliot removed Excalimachete from the Hornet Stump. Clearly he's destined for greatness.


Remember that buck that we saw a few times on the forest camera? He came out and watched us from about 100 yards away on our driveway! He was really relaxed. He must know we're not hunters.



Some of the tools got piled in on a pallet in the forest and covered in leftover house wrap.


One more thing before we go -- or before anybody has to go. We moved the porta-potty away from the driveway project. Eliot was driving the lift; he had the potty extended 20' out on the boom, wobbling


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appliances and mirrors

In pursuit of being ready for final, I came up and installed the fridge and dishwasher with Jeff. We hung mirrors in the bathrooms.

It is DONE!

The final inspection was today. This guy is Levi, the county inspector, and as you can see, we passed! He only had two questions for me. One was about the energy efficiency credits and the blower door test, for which I had the compensating paperwork for the low-flow faucets already prepared. The second was asking for a smoke detector outside the bedroom; I pointed up and he saw that we already had one tucked into the alcove. And that was that! I got up at 5am to be certain I'd be here before the inspector, and I was ... by about five hours. In that time, I took another truckload of tool buckets down to the storage container, then picked up all the floor protection in the great room and vacuumed and mopped. It's glowing! Then I went back down to the storage container to get a hammer so I could glue in 32 wood plugs to cover the screws for the french doors. I fought with installing the screens, but the frames are too big! The manufacturer said "yeah we don't even make th...

First tile

Saturday   Tile! Christina got some tile installed this weekend! Jon was racing ahead trying to get backer board down. I had to finish a couple pieces in the main bathroom before anything could be done. Then I got the laundry room filled in.   Hector and his son Robert came over from Yakima to provide initial tile instruction.   The first step was to get all the tile for the floor laid out and edges cut.   Jon had purchased most of the rest of the Ipe deck surface boards in Seattle this week and hauled them up on the trailer. Each 18 foot board weights fifty pounds! Siobhan helped me unload them and stack them under the eaves. Sunday We came back for another morning of work. Christina got almost done thinsetting the first bathroom floor. Jon finished tuning up the subfloor in the upstairs bathroom and getting the backer rock board installed. Siggy and Jon took another little bite out of the deck, cutting the first five joists.