Skip to main content

Glass success.

Friday


Mike made it back this weekend, and we got to work on the windows.


Look at that, a dozen windows in the front!

We even had enough time to get a lesson on ordinary windows. Here are the kitchen windows going in.

Eliot & Mike were justifiably proud of their work. They got out the big selfie-stick (above) and took the cool shot at the top of this post.



In the evening, Eliot finished up the tree-trimming.

Saturday

We finished up the top layer of flashing on the front windows.



 Then we punched through the back of the house and put in the upper-loft window at the very top....

 ...and the windows in the girls bedroom on the second floor.

While we worked, our plumber Pete came up and finished up the drain & water work in the crawlspace. It looks fantastic.

We quit early today. A puff of tool exhaust blew a chip of sawdust around Eliot's safety glasses and into his eye. The pain hung around a while, and we concluded it must have scratched his cornea. Ow. We went back to the hotel to rest. I treated it with saline that turned out to be contact lens cleaner solution -- thanks, Dr. Bursett, for providing an emergency phone number! Turns out it was a non-emergency, but I felt pretty dumb. A long night's sleep was enough to heal things up.

Sunday


We put in the boys' room windows.



Here we're setting up scaffolding and installing the stairwell windows.


Christina got Siggy started installing pipe insulation in the crawlspace.


Then she worked on oiling the window interior wood trim.


Archery!




The kids cleaned the smudges off the outside of the windows.


Eliot & Siggy bouncing around in the lift.


Back to work! We set the upstairs bathroom window, the last glass on an upper floor.





And then the kids drove the lift down the driveway for the rental company to pick up.

Final score: 23 windows installed, 11 windows and 2 big glass sliding doors to go.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appliances and mirrors

In pursuit of being ready for final, I came up and installed the fridge and dishwasher with Jeff. We hung mirrors in the bathrooms.

It is DONE!

The final inspection was today. This guy is Levi, the county inspector, and as you can see, we passed! He only had two questions for me. One was about the energy efficiency credits and the blower door test, for which I had the compensating paperwork for the low-flow faucets already prepared. The second was asking for a smoke detector outside the bedroom; I pointed up and he saw that we already had one tucked into the alcove. And that was that! I got up at 5am to be certain I'd be here before the inspector, and I was ... by about five hours. In that time, I took another truckload of tool buckets down to the storage container, then picked up all the floor protection in the great room and vacuumed and mopped. It's glowing! Then I went back down to the storage container to get a hammer so I could glue in 32 wood plugs to cover the screws for the french doors. I fought with installing the screens, but the frames are too big! The manufacturer said "yeah we don't even make th...

First tile

Saturday   Tile! Christina got some tile installed this weekend! Jon was racing ahead trying to get backer board down. I had to finish a couple pieces in the main bathroom before anything could be done. Then I got the laundry room filled in.   Hector and his son Robert came over from Yakima to provide initial tile instruction.   The first step was to get all the tile for the floor laid out and edges cut.   Jon had purchased most of the rest of the Ipe deck surface boards in Seattle this week and hauled them up on the trailer. Each 18 foot board weights fifty pounds! Siobhan helped me unload them and stack them under the eaves. Sunday We came back for another morning of work. Christina got almost done thinsetting the first bathroom floor. Jon finished tuning up the subfloor in the upstairs bathroom and getting the backer rock board installed. Siggy and Jon took another little bite out of the deck, cutting the first five joists.