Skip to main content

More window work


Friday




Isaiah came up for the weekend. He and Eliot put in a laundry room window.


Jon cleaned up glue spill and defects on the exposed tongue-and-groove ceiling to prepare for an oil finish.


Siggy made a signpost for the archery range from repurposed window shipping crates.


And he took a ride up the elevator.


We took a few shots at the bale.

Saturday



Began with a huge dump run, truck and trailer full. 2580 pounds! The transfer station attendant complimented my trailer-backing skills (hit the stall on the first try), so I think I just earned another merit badge.



Christina worked on detailing and oiling the interior wood trim on the installed windows.


 Sometime in the last year or so someone hired a surveyor to stake out property lines. That's handy! I had a few fenceposts lying around, so I pounded a couple in to make the marks more permanent.


We originally hung the swing on recycled conduit pull tape, good for 1800 pounds of tension. I was concerned that it wasn't going to stay that strong under repeated use. Siobhan worked on replacing the swing ropes with 1/4" steel rope. This should make the swing good for up to 7 tons. :v)


Isaiah took an elevator ride.


Eliot, Guinivere and Isaiah installed the living room windows.


Jon finished varnishing the BA column using a stepstool, and then oiled the highest windows; at least the parts he could reach from the wobbly platform.


I also built a bow rack for the archery space from reclaimed window packaging.

Sunday


Isaiah and Eliot installed the laundry room windows, the pair to the right of the front door.

The only windows left in their packaging are three for the master bedroom, plus the huge glass sliders that complete the south wall.

 Guinivere shot a bullseye.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Appliances and mirrors

In pursuit of being ready for final, I came up and installed the fridge and dishwasher with Jeff. We hung mirrors in the bathrooms.

It is DONE!

The final inspection was today. This guy is Levi, the county inspector, and as you can see, we passed! He only had two questions for me. One was about the energy efficiency credits and the blower door test, for which I had the compensating paperwork for the low-flow faucets already prepared. The second was asking for a smoke detector outside the bedroom; I pointed up and he saw that we already had one tucked into the alcove. And that was that! I got up at 5am to be certain I'd be here before the inspector, and I was ... by about five hours. In that time, I took another truckload of tool buckets down to the storage container, then picked up all the floor protection in the great room and vacuumed and mopped. It's glowing! Then I went back down to the storage container to get a hammer so I could glue in 32 wood plugs to cover the screws for the french doors. I fought with installing the screens, but the frames are too big! The manufacturer said "yeah we don't even make th...

First tile

Saturday   Tile! Christina got some tile installed this weekend! Jon was racing ahead trying to get backer board down. I had to finish a couple pieces in the main bathroom before anything could be done. Then I got the laundry room filled in.   Hector and his son Robert came over from Yakima to provide initial tile instruction.   The first step was to get all the tile for the floor laid out and edges cut.   Jon had purchased most of the rest of the Ipe deck surface boards in Seattle this week and hauled them up on the trailer. Each 18 foot board weights fifty pounds! Siobhan helped me unload them and stack them under the eaves. Sunday We came back for another morning of work. Christina got almost done thinsetting the first bathroom floor. Jon finished tuning up the subfloor in the upstairs bathroom and getting the backer rock board installed. Siggy and Jon took another little bite out of the deck, cutting the first five joists.