Skip to main content

Starting on siding

Time to give that first piece of siding under the electric meter some company.

Friday

 detailing the housewrap

 that's a purple thistle!

 five wasps nests

 ripping down a 24-foot-long board. definitely a two-person job.

 placing the rest of the fan air vents, so we can work around the blocks as we install the siding

planer shavings

Saturday


the lift is popular

 we always say he grew like a weed, but this weed has him beat

 guinivere helped eliot with detailing the rest of the walls

guinivere cutting some detail flashing

 the first row on the first wall is done.

work today was cut short -- because Jon cut his finger short with a box knife while scoring a siding panel. eliot and guinivere got some more prep work done while i cleaned up tools with my remaining functional hand. this explains why i'm not typing much today...

dinner was pizza at Beau's, a favorite in cle elum

Sunday

 back to work, installing head casing trim over the windows


lifting second-layer panels up with two people (nineteen fingers)

this weekend we got about 3/4 of the west wall completed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appliances and mirrors

In pursuit of being ready for final, I came up and installed the fridge and dishwasher with Jeff. We hung mirrors in the bathrooms.

It is DONE!

The final inspection was today. This guy is Levi, the county inspector, and as you can see, we passed! He only had two questions for me. One was about the energy efficiency credits and the blower door test, for which I had the compensating paperwork for the low-flow faucets already prepared. The second was asking for a smoke detector outside the bedroom; I pointed up and he saw that we already had one tucked into the alcove. And that was that! I got up at 5am to be certain I'd be here before the inspector, and I was ... by about five hours. In that time, I took another truckload of tool buckets down to the storage container, then picked up all the floor protection in the great room and vacuumed and mopped. It's glowing! Then I went back down to the storage container to get a hammer so I could glue in 32 wood plugs to cover the screws for the french doors. I fought with installing the screens, but the frames are too big! The manufacturer said "yeah we don't even make th...

First tile

Saturday   Tile! Christina got some tile installed this weekend! Jon was racing ahead trying to get backer board down. I had to finish a couple pieces in the main bathroom before anything could be done. Then I got the laundry room filled in.   Hector and his son Robert came over from Yakima to provide initial tile instruction.   The first step was to get all the tile for the floor laid out and edges cut.   Jon had purchased most of the rest of the Ipe deck surface boards in Seattle this week and hauled them up on the trailer. Each 18 foot board weights fifty pounds! Siobhan helped me unload them and stack them under the eaves. Sunday We came back for another morning of work. Christina got almost done thinsetting the first bathroom floor. Jon finished tuning up the subfloor in the upstairs bathroom and getting the backer rock board installed. Siggy and Jon took another little bite out of the deck, cutting the first five joists.