Skip to main content

Electricity is in; filling in the holes

The fire pit under the Milky Way is rapidly becoming a central attraction!
 
But before it got dark...
 
We got to the house and confirmed that the power was now running to our permanent meter and panels. We have a single 120V circuit wired for construction; unfortunately, I wired it wrong, and the GFCI kept tripping. :v) After correcting that, we were confident that the new wiring was correct, and we could fill in the service trenches.

We took another trip to Smith Excavating in Ellensburg for sand.


 
We taped up the conduit ends to keep the conduit clean in case we ever need to pull new wire through them. (That already saved our bacon once!) Then we shoveled sand into the pits where the wires emerge from conduit to protect them from rocks.

Next, we filled the holes back in with a rental excavator.
 

There was a big mound of dirt and rocks at the top of the hill left over from the original trench excavation two years ago. It was a snowmobile obstacle. With what was left of the daylight, Eliot pushed it down the hill to fill in another random trench next to the driveway. Now the property is free of random pits and trenches, ready for the snow and the snowmobiles.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Appliances and mirrors

In pursuit of being ready for final, I came up and installed the fridge and dishwasher with Jeff. We hung mirrors in the bathrooms.

It is DONE!

The final inspection was today. This guy is Levi, the county inspector, and as you can see, we passed! He only had two questions for me. One was about the energy efficiency credits and the blower door test, for which I had the compensating paperwork for the low-flow faucets already prepared. The second was asking for a smoke detector outside the bedroom; I pointed up and he saw that we already had one tucked into the alcove. And that was that! I got up at 5am to be certain I'd be here before the inspector, and I was ... by about five hours. In that time, I took another truckload of tool buckets down to the storage container, then picked up all the floor protection in the great room and vacuumed and mopped. It's glowing! Then I went back down to the storage container to get a hammer so I could glue in 32 wood plugs to cover the screws for the french doors. I fought with installing the screens, but the frames are too big! The manufacturer said "yeah we don't even make th...

First tile

Saturday   Tile! Christina got some tile installed this weekend! Jon was racing ahead trying to get backer board down. I had to finish a couple pieces in the main bathroom before anything could be done. Then I got the laundry room filled in.   Hector and his son Robert came over from Yakima to provide initial tile instruction.   The first step was to get all the tile for the floor laid out and edges cut.   Jon had purchased most of the rest of the Ipe deck surface boards in Seattle this week and hauled them up on the trailer. Each 18 foot board weights fifty pounds! Siobhan helped me unload them and stack them under the eaves. Sunday We came back for another morning of work. Christina got almost done thinsetting the first bathroom floor. Jon finished tuning up the subfloor in the upstairs bathroom and getting the backer rock board installed. Siggy and Jon took another little bite out of the deck, cutting the first five joists.