Skip to main content

It's not a cabin without the cabin-ets


 

Friday

I woke the trailer back up (inflated the tires, patched up a flaky wire in the lighting system, fixed up the railings). I filled the truck bed up with trash. I got out the driveway and realized I was also supposed to take the personnel lift to storage in Yakima, so I zipped back down the driveway and tipped it onto the trailer and strapped it down. I did my dump run and fueled up in Cle Elum, then drove to Yakima, where Rick helped me load the cabinets, then drove back to the cabin.


The trailer was full. I swept and vacuumed and taped down some floor protection. I had repaired the dehumidifier at home, so I got it put back in the crawlspace.

Saturday

Jeff showed up bright and early and we humped most of the boxes into the house.

 

His first comment was "let's see how much of a battle we'll have with these floors." He set his level down and it showed 0.0. Nice work, Eliot!



We got the kitchen, which was about half the boxes, almost entirely installed on Saturday.

Sunday

I had a day to work alone. I spent  three hours hauling tools and scrap lumber and other junk away from the perimeter of the cabin to prepare for the arrival of the excavator guys tomorrow; they're going to bring up the dirt level so I can build the decks and patios.


I replaced most of the crappy subfloor screws in the bathrooms to ready for installing backer board and cabinets.


I put the doors and drawers back into the completed part of the kitchen to get them out of the way.


That gave me a place to move tools into the bedroom to clear the floor in the laundry room.

I located the studs for installing the kitchen upper cabinets, adjusted the exhaust vent pipe. Then spent an hour breaking down a dozen giant cardboard boxes and packing them into one big box to clear out the great room and make room for the next set. I vacuumed up the floors.

Monday

I got ramboard put down, stair by stair, to make a work path to the upstairs bathroom.



Jeff came back. We finished installing the kitchen.

 

 

The excavators came and worked on filling around the entry and front patio areas.


We installed the downstairs and upstairs bathroom cabinets.


After Jeff went home, I fixed up subfloor screws in half the laundry room and got the backer board installed.

Wednesday

Jeff came over again and we completed the last two sections: the vestibule cabinets and the laundry room.



The excavators forgot to dig my post holes, so I measured and marked those out.

The excavators had cleared out a big tree stump which made my trailer parking spot much better.

I spent a long time putting away tools, vacuuming, and peeling up ramboard to keep the floor from developing a pattern as it sun-colors. The top photo is a glamour shot I took of the completed kitchen in the cleaned-out great room.



 

Comments

  1. Exciting, exciting, exciting. Want to hear plans for patio / deck(s).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how the window X shadow falls right into the stove back.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Appliances and mirrors

In pursuit of being ready for final, I came up and installed the fridge and dishwasher with Jeff. We hung mirrors in the bathrooms.

It is DONE!

The final inspection was today. This guy is Levi, the county inspector, and as you can see, we passed! He only had two questions for me. One was about the energy efficiency credits and the blower door test, for which I had the compensating paperwork for the low-flow faucets already prepared. The second was asking for a smoke detector outside the bedroom; I pointed up and he saw that we already had one tucked into the alcove. And that was that! I got up at 5am to be certain I'd be here before the inspector, and I was ... by about five hours. In that time, I took another truckload of tool buckets down to the storage container, then picked up all the floor protection in the great room and vacuumed and mopped. It's glowing! Then I went back down to the storage container to get a hammer so I could glue in 32 wood plugs to cover the screws for the french doors. I fought with installing the screens, but the frames are too big! The manufacturer said "yeah we don't even make th...

First tile

Saturday   Tile! Christina got some tile installed this weekend! Jon was racing ahead trying to get backer board down. I had to finish a couple pieces in the main bathroom before anything could be done. Then I got the laundry room filled in.   Hector and his son Robert came over from Yakima to provide initial tile instruction.   The first step was to get all the tile for the floor laid out and edges cut.   Jon had purchased most of the rest of the Ipe deck surface boards in Seattle this week and hauled them up on the trailer. Each 18 foot board weights fifty pounds! Siobhan helped me unload them and stack them under the eaves. Sunday We came back for another morning of work. Christina got almost done thinsetting the first bathroom floor. Jon finished tuning up the subfloor in the upstairs bathroom and getting the backer rock board installed. Siggy and Jon took another little bite out of the deck, cutting the first five joists.