Skip to main content

Big window interior trim

 Jon and Jeff got back to work on Friday, moving back inside now. Good thing, because outside was snowy.


We started on the upper windows, left side. It took all day to get set up and then install six whole pieces of wood. But they look fantastic. Three of the pieces are narrow "quarter round" strips, but instead of boring old round, which wouldn't fit with the cabin's geometry, we manufactured 45-degree chamfered pieces. They look wonderful.They don't really show up in the photos.


On Saturday, we got the same treatment done to the upper right pair of windows, all before lunch. Then we moved down to the big group of four.


They're not quite done yet -- we still need the chamfered strips -- but they look really good so far.

 It's slow going, but the pieces all fit very well, even the ones 25 feet up that require an elevator to examine. When I was sanding saw marks out of the chamfered strips, I was thinking "is this good enough? Well, what if my woodshop teacher ever visits?" Keep sanding.

Comments

  1. Good motivation! Looks wonderful. I will go up in the elevator to examine it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Appliances and mirrors

In pursuit of being ready for final, I came up and installed the fridge and dishwasher with Jeff. We hung mirrors in the bathrooms.

It is DONE!

The final inspection was today. This guy is Levi, the county inspector, and as you can see, we passed! He only had two questions for me. One was about the energy efficiency credits and the blower door test, for which I had the compensating paperwork for the low-flow faucets already prepared. The second was asking for a smoke detector outside the bedroom; I pointed up and he saw that we already had one tucked into the alcove. And that was that! I got up at 5am to be certain I'd be here before the inspector, and I was ... by about five hours. In that time, I took another truckload of tool buckets down to the storage container, then picked up all the floor protection in the great room and vacuumed and mopped. It's glowing! Then I went back down to the storage container to get a hammer so I could glue in 32 wood plugs to cover the screws for the french doors. I fought with installing the screens, but the frames are too big! The manufacturer said "yeah we don't even make th...

First tile

Saturday   Tile! Christina got some tile installed this weekend! Jon was racing ahead trying to get backer board down. I had to finish a couple pieces in the main bathroom before anything could be done. Then I got the laundry room filled in.   Hector and his son Robert came over from Yakima to provide initial tile instruction.   The first step was to get all the tile for the floor laid out and edges cut.   Jon had purchased most of the rest of the Ipe deck surface boards in Seattle this week and hauled them up on the trailer. Each 18 foot board weights fifty pounds! Siobhan helped me unload them and stack them under the eaves. Sunday We came back for another morning of work. Christina got almost done thinsetting the first bathroom floor. Jon finished tuning up the subfloor in the upstairs bathroom and getting the backer rock board installed. Siggy and Jon took another little bite out of the deck, cutting the first five joists.