Skip to main content

Wrapping up trim details

Tuesday
 
Jon came up alone on vacation to wrap up more stuff before clearing the building for flooring. I installed the ceiling trim strips Siggy and I made on the weekend:
 
Here's a finished product:
 
 Wait, gotta stop and change the oil in the air compressor.
 


 


 Oop, found some more blue tape still lurking in the upper loft.


The last two pieces of exterior trim were lying around in the laundry room; I nailed those on next to the front door.


Wednesday

I cut this leftover bottom plate out of the bathroom door.

The next big undertaking was wrapping up the exposed wood ceiling in the bathroom and vestibule upstairs. That involved applying a bunch of finish overhead, a task I detest. Lots of drips and finish running down the brush and down your arm. And it's really tricky getting the finish into that little gap between the collar ties.

I had to make four pieces of blocking to complete the look.


This little Douglas Squirrel considered paying us a visit.


 

Thursday

My mom came up to enjoy the scenery. She cut some plywood circles for her birdhouses from our scrap pile.



I trimmed out the drywall for the blocks and fastened them in.


The final result looks pretty great.

I also added a second coat of finish to the collar ties in the boys' bedroom, wrapping up that room.

Tim from Marson came by in his forklift to remove the 870-pound personnel lift from the house. Off it goes to Craigslist.



Comments

  1. Some of "us" are more productive than others. Especially when you consider that I made 4 cuts and quit. Thanks for taking time out to do these.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Appliances and mirrors

In pursuit of being ready for final, I came up and installed the fridge and dishwasher with Jeff. We hung mirrors in the bathrooms.

It is DONE!

The final inspection was today. This guy is Levi, the county inspector, and as you can see, we passed! He only had two questions for me. One was about the energy efficiency credits and the blower door test, for which I had the compensating paperwork for the low-flow faucets already prepared. The second was asking for a smoke detector outside the bedroom; I pointed up and he saw that we already had one tucked into the alcove. And that was that! I got up at 5am to be certain I'd be here before the inspector, and I was ... by about five hours. In that time, I took another truckload of tool buckets down to the storage container, then picked up all the floor protection in the great room and vacuumed and mopped. It's glowing! Then I went back down to the storage container to get a hammer so I could glue in 32 wood plugs to cover the screws for the french doors. I fought with installing the screens, but the frames are too big! The manufacturer said "yeah we don't even make th...

First tile

Saturday   Tile! Christina got some tile installed this weekend! Jon was racing ahead trying to get backer board down. I had to finish a couple pieces in the main bathroom before anything could be done. Then I got the laundry room filled in.   Hector and his son Robert came over from Yakima to provide initial tile instruction.   The first step was to get all the tile for the floor laid out and edges cut.   Jon had purchased most of the rest of the Ipe deck surface boards in Seattle this week and hauled them up on the trailer. Each 18 foot board weights fifty pounds! Siobhan helped me unload them and stack them under the eaves. Sunday We came back for another morning of work. Christina got almost done thinsetting the first bathroom floor. Jon finished tuning up the subfloor in the upstairs bathroom and getting the backer rock board installed. Siggy and Jon took another little bite out of the deck, cutting the first five joists.